This is such a great summer potluck appetizer that two of my hosts this summer requested it. You could just call this summer-on-a-stick, but sometimes even I like to get a little high-falutin’!
1 container marinted fresh mozzarella balls (You can get the plain, but it’s just not as good. I used to have to drive about 45 minutes to a Whole Foods to get them, but now they are in my local grocery store. Trust me when I say that if I can get them, you can get them.)
2 containers grape tomatoes (Some people might prefer the cherry tomato. Go on and do that if that’s what you like. I have always used the grape tomato to thunderous applause.)
2 bunches of basil (you are gonna need a fair amount so if you don’t have a plant, buy a generous amount)
1. Enlist help and lots of it. These are easy to assemble but lots of hands make light work in this recipe. I have enlisted my youngest to help for the past three years and he just turned six.
2. Cut mozzarella balls in half.
3. Cut grape tomatoes in half.
4. Rip, do not cut, basil into bite-sized pieces.
5. Take half a grape tomato, a piece of basil, a piece of mozzarella, and another half a grape tomato and place on a toothpick making sure that the two pieces of tomato are the first and last things on the toothpick.
6. Repeat. Over and over and over again.
7. Put a little olive oil on a plate and then lay the assembled sticks on the plate. Lightly salt.
7. Double this recipe if you are taking to a bigger party. We have huge families. I have never NOT doubled this recipe.
So there you go. Wait for your thunderous applause.